Friday, October 14, 2005

Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve

This is the mouth of Sungei Buloh Besar with the town of JB forming the backdrop.
Click on the above photo for high-res image

There are three walking trails in Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve (SBWR). On my previous visits, I managed to complete "Route One" and "Route Two" but somehow I took a wrong turning and missed the "Tower Hide".
This morning I visited SBWR again and chose to do "Route Three" which is approximately 7 km long. It took me about 4 hours to complete this trail. This time with the aid of a trail map I made it to the "Tower Hide". Here are some pictures that I took from the top level of the "Tower Hide" :-
Can you see the "Bird Observation Hide" on the left ?
Click on the above photo for high-res image
Another view from the top
Click on the above photo for high-res image
During the course of my hike, I came across quite a number of Malayan Water Monitor Lizards (Varanus salvator) sunning themselves. There is a large community inhabiting the Aquatic Pond. Another common sight is the "Common Sun Skinks" and the "White-breasted Waterhen". The star attraction of SBWR is of course the migratory birds that feed on the mudflats. I couldn't get any good shots with my camera as they were out of range. Time to get a more powerful zoom ?
Whilst on the way back to the car park, I spied a "Pink-necked green pigeon" (Treron vernans) feeding on the the ripened fruits of a palm tree. Here is the shot :
Pink-necked Green Pigeon
Click on the above photo for high-res image
When I next come back to SBWR again, I intend to explore the 2 km long "Kranji Nature Trail" which is the green corridor linking two wetlands, the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve and Kranji Reservoir Park.

2 comments:

chinatownboy said...

Wow, great report and you caught a nice pose of the pinkneckgreen pigeon! (^^)

イーポウサン Ee Poh San said...

Thanks for dropping in. Next time if and when you passes by a Ceram Palm (Rhopaloblaste ceramica), just look up. The ripened fruits ( those that are red in colour ) are the green pigeon's favourites.