Thursday, May 26, 2005

Chronicling the first week with the iMac G5

Exactly one week ago, I received my iMac G5 and eagerly unpacked and installed it.

Plugging in the necessary peripherals was easy.

Last step was to attach the power cable and switch on the iMac G5. Gingerly I pressed the power button (located at the back) and "BOING!!!" the Apple startup sound was so damned loud I almost fell off my chair. (Sidenote: Unfortunately, the loudness of the iMac G5 does not extend to the OS sounds - all other sounds other than the startup sound are very muted even on max volume.)

I saw the grey Apple logo and a revolving thing on my screen that spins and spins for a good few minutes. After a while, I got to the registration and setup screens and after duly filling them in, I was deposited at the Finder. At last, a proper taste of Mac OS X Tiger.

I started to explore more of Tiger. The first couple of days was just spent tinkering with the OS, trying out stuff and setting preferences. Notice 'home and 'end' keys don't move to the beginning and end of a line as in Windows - I miss that. I am now trying to get use to the one-button mouse.

No comments: